The ICP-MS Technician is responsible for operating and maintaining the ICP-MS (Inductively Coupled Plasma-Mass Spectrometer). This role is to be a full-time, day shift position and is needed to provide analytical support and methods development to facilitate the production of Battery Grade Acid (BGA) and Battery Grade Zinc (BGZ). The ICP-MS Technician will also provide back-up analytical support for the ICP-OES, AA, AFS, and other Lab instruments.
Ensure safe, low cost, high quality analytical support through development and implementation of processes and procedures to:
- Generate and report all required assays to the departments producing BGA and /or BGZ
- Maintain Laboratory instruments to keep them in good working order to the extent possible and, as needed, escalates equipment maintenance and calibrate issues for correction
- Conduct the appropriate pre-task risk assessments as necessary to ensure safety in the workplace
- Contribute to the development of methods and curves needed on each element
- Adhere to the Laboratory Quality Manual procedures
- Maintain Quality Assurance in accordance with Laboratory Quality Manual to satisfy ISO 9001 where required
- Operate all laboratory equipment in accordance with correct operation procedures as provided by the equipment manufacturer or as detailed in the Laboratory Quality Manual
- Contribute to the development of Analytical Services budget and manage budget for the relevant team in line with the goals of the organization through the implementation of established financial systems and practices
- Maintain required laboratory records
- Cross train to allow for back-up coverage for fellow day shift analysts
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Chemistry or equivalent
- Certified training in instrumental analysis
- 3-5 years of general laboratory experience
- 1-2 years of experience operating an ICP-MS
- Experience in instrumental analysis method development
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office software
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
COMPETENTIES / BEHAVIORS:
- Quickly learns and applies information, knowledge and skills
- Demonstrates flexibility and adaptability, commensurate with changing conditions and goals
- Expresses information and ides clearly and concisely, and confirms understanding
- Demonstrates that efforts to add value for customers(both internal and external) and respond to their needs are of critical importance
- Modifies one’s own behavior to accommodate different situations, tasks and individuals involved
- Supports Nyrstar values of preventing harm, being open and honest, doing as we say, being considerate, and working together
- Understands the impact of actions and decisions on both people and other parts of the organization
- Makes working safely with regard to the environment a way of life, by pro-actively eliminating potential dangers that pose a hazard for self, others or the environment
- Works cooperatively with others and ensures team effectiveness
- Ensures completeness and accuracy of task, information and activities
- Effectively manages own time by planning activities and setting priorities
- Strives for high standards of performance for self and/or others
Written applications stating qualifications and employment history, quoting job title are to be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to hearing from you.
Please note that only applicants who progress to the next stage will be contacted. Thank you for your interest in applying for this position.
For more information on Nyrstar, please visit www.nyrstar.com.
An Equal Opportunity Employer.