Global Head of Health & Safety
Accountable for Health and Safety (H&S) performance of Nyrstar Group. Provides leadership, issue management and direction for the H&S discipline in Nyrstar. This is delivered by providing
authoritative Technical Expertise to Nyrstar’s Management, Operations and Projects, owning H&S operational requirements, leading and developing the H&S discipline, maintaining an independent view on operational risks and mitigations, supporting the strategic response to emerging H&S risks and representing Nyrstar’s interests externally with our peers, stakeholders and industry associations.
- Leading the Nyrstar team of H&S professionals and Group subject matter experts in H&S issues ensuring deep technical expertise is provided to senior management and facilities and that Group level operational H&S risks are understood with mitigations in place.
- Liaising closely with the Facilities as well as the Group strategy and policy making teams, technology and risk teams on developing and agreeing an integrated H&S agenda for Nyrstar.
- Collating and sharing emerging and existing H&S operational risks of Group significance; and providing an independent view of adequacy of proposed actions and interventions.
- Developing and leading the H&S strategy for the Group; and implementation of the Nyrstar Group H&S Policy and associated management system elements and standards across the Group, including developing Nyrstars response to climate change risks.
- Promoting a positive H&S culture and associated behaviours across the Group, including coaching senior managers to be H&S role models.
- Implementation of the Group-wide H&S Assurance programme.
- Advising on compliance with relevant applicable Health and Safety Legislation and Regulations, and industry best practice.
- Oversight of the total H&S budget and supporting operating Facilities to ensure efficient and effective expenditure on safety improvement projects.
- Responsible for group-wide H&S information dissemination and communication processes.
- Co-ordination of the Nyrstar Group H&S Committee and advising other committees at a Group, Operating company and Division level on H&S matters.
- Directing H&S due diligence on behalf of the Group in relation to new acquisitions and disposals, new and ongoing commercial relationships, responsible souring risks, etc.
- Establishing and implementing Group level H&S objectives and targets and monitoring H&S performance of Nyrstar globally.
- Developing a Group-wide H&S competency framework and support development and roll-out of associated training.
- Reviewing H&S incident reports; directing and participating in incident investigations as appropriate.
- Appointing expert internal and external resource as required.
- H&S, engineering or related qualification to degree level or higher; Post graduate qualification preferred in H&S or engineering related subject.
- Relevant professional qualification preferred (e.g. corporate/chartered membership of relevant institution or other professional body).
- Minimum 15 years technical experience within the mining, smelting or similar high hazard industry.
- Minimum 5 years in an H&S leadership role with extensive operational experience.
- Minimum 5 years in a Group level H&S leadership role with experience of setting and implementing Group level strategy, targets and plans.
- Significant demonstrable experience as senior discipline leader with proven track record of leadership in discipline.
- Extensive experience in applying H&S risk management and management capability in an major International extractive organisation.
- Ability to effectively lead and influence globally dispersed teams on variety of issues and demonstrating cultural awareness and sensitivity.
- High level of business acumen and demonstrable experience in influencing and effectively communicating with senior stakeholders.
- Ability to build upon best practices and lessons learned from within the company and industry, as well as beyond the industry with a passion for identifying innovative solutions and partnerships.
- Ability to set vision and strategy, translating into systematic milestones for implementation and critically appraise progress.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please send us your CV - HR.CorporateOffice@nyrstar.com. We look forward to hearing from you.
Please note that only applicants who progress to the next stage will be contacted. Thank you for your interest in applying for this position.
For more information on Nyrstar, please visit www.nyrstar.com
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and take pride in a diverse workforce. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, colour, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, medical condition or handicap, disability, or any other legally protected status.