Materials Stewardship Specialist
The Materials Stewardship Specialist is to Support Nyrstar Corporate office and Operational sites to develop and maintain systems for: compliance with regulatory obligations; due diligence; and industry best practices relating to materials and chemical management. Further, provide a specialist advisory function to Commercial, Business Execution and Logistics teams on matters relating to management, classification, labelling, packaging and permits for raw and secondary feed materials, products and by-products.
Safety, Health & Environment
- Contribute to the day-to-day management and improvement of HSE practices in the corporate office
- Contribute to HSE goals across the organisation where they relate to improved management of materials and chemicals
- Always act in a manner consistent with Nyrstar’s Code of Conduct, ethics and values, and HSE standards
Function / Production:
- Develop/maintain a database of Safety Data Sheets (SDSs) of Nyrstar products and raw materials
- Work with site and technical specialists to update SDS content on an ongoing basis
- Advise commercial, logistics and business execution teams on matters relating to European Chemical legislation, REACh; various transport of Dangerous Goods codes; IMSBC; Harmonised System (HS) codes; classification and transport of materials under waste and non-waste classifications; etc
- Facilitate a cross functional working group and ensure effective communications between Commercial, Logistics, Operations and Support teams to ensure that materials movements are completed in compliance with regulatory obligations
- Develop a knowledgebase of specialist expertise on materials and chemical management and related regulatory frameworks relevant to Nyrstar operations
- Develop a database of information of Nyrstar products and raw materials that captures material classifications and relevant information and assessments underpinning those classifications
- Oversee an assurance program to review and report on compliance with materials and chemical management obligations
- Monitor and review regulatory changes in materials and chemical management across all jurisdictions in which Nyrstar operates
- Represent Nyrstar and participate in external advocacy and consultation relating to changes in regulatory requirements for materials and chemical management
- Support due diligence exercises in the sourcing of materials for use within Nyrstar and/or the sale of materials to customers where there may be risks of human rights infringements or environmental impacts by those counterparties
- Advise procurement and legal teams on relevant contract terms where they relate to the registration, classification, transport or handling of materials and chemicals
Tertiary qualifications in a relevant field. Given the breadth of this role, relevant fields may include: legal; environmental science or engineering; chemistry; chemical or metallurgical engineering.
- Vocational training in chemicals management
- IMDG Code training
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Capability in research and interpretation of legislation, codes of practice and technical guidance materials
- Ability to work proactively and autonomously. This is a new role requiring the development of new business processes and systems in a highly technical area. The ability to be able to convert complex regulatory obligations into clear and simple processes is critical to the success of the role
- High proficiency in general business software applications to support the development of policies and procedures, information storage, face-to-face and ‘E’ learning materials
- Ability to work effectively with a wide range of stakeholders from senior management and external stakeholders to operational and technical staff
- Greater than 5 years’ experience in a relevant minerals or chemicals role
- While English language is essential, proficiency in Dutch/French/Spanish languages desirable
- Knowledge of, and experience in, mineral processing, particularly non-ferrous metals
- Previous direct experience in the control and management of the movement of mineralogical materials
Should you wish to apply for this position, please email your CV and a short motivation to HR.CorporateOffice@nyrstar.com.
We look forward to hearing from you.
Please note that only applicants who progress to the next stage will be contacted. Thank you for your interest in applying for this position.
For more information on Nyrstar, please visit www.nyrstar.com.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and take pride in a diverse workforce. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, colour, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, medical condition or handicap, disability, or any other legally protected status.