Hours: Rotaing 4/4 Roster
Working at a large, progressive, world-class zinc smelter, you will help to supply the world with one of the most useful and in demand metals in the world, and contribute to the success of an iconic Hobart site.
Nyrstar Hobart has 5 Production departments that employ operators to run their processes.
- WHARF: Zinc concentrate is transported to the site. The wharf department is responsible for blending and transport operations as well as site production, planning and shipping.
- ROAST: Raw materials are fed into a fluid bed roaster and cooked into calcine (an impure zinc oxide which looks a bit like sand). This automated process is monitored and controlled by operators.
- LEACH/ACID: We dissolve the calcine in sulfuric acid and seperate a range of other metals to create a very pure soution which is sent to Electrolysis.
- ELECTROLYSIS: Zinc metal is produced. Pure zinc is deposited on aluminium plates using large amounts of electricity. These plates, which carry pure zinc, are lifted out of the cells and the zinc is stripped from the plates.
- CASTING: Zinc is remelted and cast into saleable zinc blocks. Specific alloys are also cast. Besides Zinc, Hobart also produces valuable by-broducts.
These positions are employed on a rotating shift roster, working consecutively 2 x 12 hour day shifts, 2 x 12 hour night shifts, 4 days off.
We are looking for reliable, motivated individuals who enjoy contributing to a successful team environment.
Ideally, our Production Operators will have:
- Certificate II in Process Plant Operations (or working towards)
- A trade or heavy industry background, with mining and/or major hazard facility work experience highly regarded
- Good mechanical aptitude and attention to detail, with extensive experience using hand tools and problem sovling
- Experience working shifts including night duties
However, we offer regular intakes of Trainees to complete Certificate II in Process Plant Operations traineeships, and no experience wearing steel caps and hi-vis is necessary.
The requirements to obtain a position as either a Production Operator or Trainee Production Operator are:
- Proven ability to work safely, consistently and reliably with minimal supervision.
- Ability to commit to a set 4/4 rotating shift pattern including weekends and public hoidays.
- Ability to obtain knowledge of Nyrstar Hobart’s site process, equipment and production techniques.
- Willingness to accept responsibility and accountability for high performance standards.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Proven ability to work collaboratively and proactively in a team environment.
- Flexibility to work in various operating roles and willingness to learn and apply new skills.
- A minimum educational standard of year 10 with some computer literacy is essential.
- Previous leadership experience would be seen as advantageous.
From solar panels to paint, and a thousand products in between, zinc chemicals play a critical role in modern society. Nyrstar is global multi metals business that can meet this demand for zinc for many generations to come. A career as a Production Operator at Nyrstar Hobart provides stable, long term employment with plenty training and development opportunities.
To apply for these positions please apply with a current resume and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Nyrstar respects and values the diversity of our people and believes our differences strengthen our business. Nyrstar Hobart is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating a culturally diverse and gender equal workplace, where everyone is included, treated fairly and with respect.
Nyrstar Hobart has a strict RPE ‘Clean Shave’ Policy. Most facial hair is not permitted on site. Regular health screening, including blood tests, is part of our commitment to keeping our workforce safe and a condition of employment.
We look forward hearing from you