The Nyrstar Hobart Smelter has been a proud part of the community for over 100 years, but with that history comes challenges from an aging asset.
We need a structural project engineer to fill a pivotal role in ensuring continued safe production by developing short term remediation methodology. You will provide professional structural engineering services to help improve the structural integrity of existing assets, and ensure the designs of new structures and buildings are safe and fit. In this exciting and varied career opportunity you will have a large influence in assessing various equipment’s structural integrity, ranging from standard site infrastructure, large steel structures, aging timber buildings, and more. You will work with a talented multi-disciplinary team and be key to the ongoing success of the operation.
- Project manage diverse and challenging projects including budgets and forecasting
- Supervise contractors and staff associated with building and remediation projects
- Conduct detailed investigations into structural failures
- Provide expert guidance to a broad range of stakeholders
- Challenge established repair methodologies and derive more time and cost effective solutions
- Assist in developing new methods of conditional assessments in the plant utilising latest technology
- Evaluate new and existing structures and construction materials
- Manage compliance across regulatory and internal policies and standards
- Structural Engineering Qualification
- Experience managing relevant engineering projects
- Heavy industry experience, ideally in mineral processing/ smelting or similar
- Project management software experience desirable
- A continuous improvement mindset and focus on improvement initiatives
- Clear, positive and influential communication
- Technical writing proficiency
- Supportive and innovative leadership skills
- Ability to juggle competing tasks and remain flexible while delivering compliant, on time projects
This career move will allow you to make a positive impact on an important contributor to the Hobart community and Tasmanian economy. If you are meticulous, creative, and believe strongly in teams where everyone involved has the success of the project as their top priority, then we want to hear from you.