Senior Metallurgist - Production (2022-223)
An exciting opportunity is now open for a Senior Metallurgist to join the Operations technical team at our Port Pirie Smelter in South Australia.
The Senior Metallurgist provides technical advice and consultative services to the Manager and Superintendents for the operation of a production area.
The Senior Metallurgist also identifies areas of technical improvements and provides solutions to processing/metallurgical problems within the production department. This also includes providing leadership and technical expertise to the technical and operational teams, focusing on executing identified projects to meet both short and long-term goals.
The Senior Metallurgist is responsible for ensuring the process is stable and continually optimized or improved to extract the highest sustainable financial return from the process in the safest, most environmentally responsible way. The Senior Metallurgist must have an overall business view that gives the best financial result for the business and is aware of the impacts, both up and down stream of their process.
Reporting to the Principal Metallurgist – Operations, this is a residentially based role, only a short 2.5-hour drive from Adelaide, operating on a Monday-Friday roster. Relocation assistance will be provided to the successful candidate, if required.
If you’re ready to take on a challenging role and make significant impact to production in 2022 and beyond, you may be the person we are looking for!
Key responsibilities of the role include, but are not limited to:
- Provide leadership and technical expertise to ensure stable operation of a production area
- Early identification of process issues and finding and implementing suitable solutions
- Mentor metallurgists and assist in the gaining of process knowledge within the technical team, plant and broader site
- Use data to promote value-add decision making
- Drive plant improvements to increase performance and influence/impact change in other functions
Qualifications, Skills & Experiences:
- Formal graduate technical qualifications in Chemical Engineering, Metallurgy or similar is essential
- 5+ years’ experience in a plant based Chemical Engineering / Metallurgy role or similar
- Experience in the smelting industry and/or TSL furnaces is highly regarded
- Superior skill with Microsoft Excel is essential
- Experience in SAP is desirable
What does working for Nyrstar mean?
We offer a career of challenge, reward and growth in a company that is focussed on being a leader in our field. Safety, Health, Hygiene & Environment are the foundation of all our values – we live safety by living our values: Respect, Ownership, Excellence, Teamwork and Integrity.
What we offer:
- 5 weeks annual leave
- Competitive salary
- Subsidised health membership
- Private Health benefits option (corporate rates)
- Subsidised Dental Health Care – for you and your family
- Novated car leasing option
- Relocation support
- Study leave assistance
- Employee Referral Program
- Employee Assistance Program
Submit your application including a cover letter and resume, referencing number 2022-223 by 12pm on Tuesday, 18th October 2022.
Nyrstar is an equal opportunity employer and supports diversity within its workforce. Nyrstar Port Pirie’s Safety Policy requires clean shaven employees and is a non-smoking site. Only applicants who progress to the next stage will be contacted. Thank you for your interest in applying for a position at Nyrstar.