Senior or Principal Metallurgist - Technical Projects
Applications are now open for an experienced Senior or Principal Metallurgist to join our Technical Projects team.
The prime objective of this role is to manage technical projects in both the pyro and hydro metallurgical disciplines. Nyrstar Port Pirie have a wide range of challenging projects to secure the sustainable future of the Nyrstar Port Pirie Smelter. These projects include: optimising current operations, expanding production capacity and development of new processes to de-bottleneck the operations. The technical projects team is responsible for developing the concept and feasibility on both a technical and financial basis which may include running laboratory test programs to pilot plants to prove viability or processes. Working with the site engineering team during the detailed engineering and implementation phases and lead the commissioning of the new infrastructure to a point where it will be handed over to operations.
This role will also encompass acting as a technical consultant to the operational areas for complex technical problems where the operations personnel are not resolving the problem in a timely manner. This will mean the successful applicant must have the ability to quickly understand flowsheets and processes and verify hypothesis with plant data before making recommendations.
We are seeking a highly motivated individual with a strong track record of technical projects and improvements.
Reporting through to the Principal Metallurgist – Technical Operations, these positions are residentially based in Port Pirie, South Australia on a Monday-Friday roster. Relocation support will be provided for the successful candidate, if required.
Key responsibilities of the role include, but are not limited to:
- Provide technical support and analysis under the general direction of the Senior Metallurgists and Operational Superintendents, with support from the Principal Metallurgist
- Understand the process of the physical plant functions, chemistry, energy and mass balances
- Define operating ranges for plant parameters based on analysis of plant data and metallurgical principles, then work with operators to ensure effective operation within this range
- Day-to-day monitoring of the process, identify variances and take actions to rectify when required
- Collect, measure and analyse data, documenting it in a concise and timely manner
- Identify improvement opportunities, evaluating the benefits and risks, presenting the idea and if approved, implement accordingly
- Where longer term projects are identified, hand over the necessary information to the relevant departments to ensure successful progression of the solution
- Due to the 24/7 nature of the operations, Plant and Senior Metallurgists must be available after hours from time-to-time for expert advice (on a shared rotational roster where applicable)
- Understand financial impacts of productivity losses and gains, driving improvement processes and securing the profitability of the organisation
- Provide expertise and leadership for technical projects and the technical operation teams.
- Champion identified projects to meet both short and long term goals
- Evaluate and optimise improvement ideas/projects
- Managing project risks, including safety, environmental, technical and financial
- Mentor less experienced metallurgists and other team members to assist in the gaining of process knowledge for the technical team, plant and site
- Develop and plan test programs (laboratory and pilot plant) to reduce the technical risk
- Analyse and review test program data to ensure projects are viable and feasible
- Develop commissioning plans for new processes and plants
- Work with engineering during detailed design and implementation to ensure the plant is robust fit for purpose
WHAT DOES WORKING FOR NYRSTAR MEAN?
We offer a career of challenge, reward and growth in a company that is focussed on being a leader in our field. Safety, Health, Hygiene & Environment are the foundation of all our values – we live safety by living our values: Respect, Ownership, Excellence, Teamwork and Integrity.
WHAT CAN WE OFFER?
- Competitive salary
- 5 weeks annual leave
- Subsidised health membership
- Private health benefits (corporate rates)
- Subsidised dental health care for you and your family
- Novated car leasing option
- Annual flu vaccination
- Employee Assistance Program (confidential counselling services)
- Relocation support
- Study leave assistance
- Employee Referral Program
Written applications, including copies of relevant qualifications and employment history, quoting job title and reference number 2021-44 are to be emailed to PortPirie.Recruitment@nyrstar.com no later than 4pm on Tuesday 28th September 2021.
Please note you must have unrestricted valid rights to work in Australia. Nyrstar is an equal opportunity employer and supports diversity within its workforce. Nyrstar Port Pirie’s Safety Policy requires clean shaven employees and is a non-smoking site. Only applicants who progress to the next stage will be contacted. Thank you for your interest in applying for a position at Nyrstar.